Help Your Athletes Stay Committed to Mental Training
One of the keys to success for any coach, particularly a mental coach, is the ability to help athletes stay committed to their training.
Factors That Hurt Commitment for Athletes
- Lack of time for mental training – athletes are very busy between school, team training, individual training, and strength/speed training.
- Lack of knowledge about how mental training can help their performance – some athletes think that if they just train harder, their mental blocks will go away. Some athletes still avoid mental coaching because they don’t want to be labeled as having a problem.
- Not understanding how to apply mental training to their practices or competitions- if athletes are not clearly understanding how to apply your strategies, they will lose motivation quickly!
- Lack of follow up strategies – weekly sessions are not enough, athletes need some way to follow up and implement the strategies they are learning in session.
4 Ways to Help your Athletes Stay Committed
- Flexible hours – give your athletes options so they can work around their schedule. We often provide evening and sometimes even weekend appointment times.
- Help your athletes identify how their mind is hurting their performance – a great way to do this is with our Athlete’s Mental Aptitude Profile (AMAP), a thorough mental game assessment for athletes – included in the MGCP Certification Course starting February 2014.
- Give your athletes specific strategies they can use immediately – athletes don’t want the run-a-round. They want to know exactly what to do, how and when. They need a clear system to follow in order to improve. The MGCP Program teaches you specific strategies with real life athlete case studies.
- Help your athletes improve between sessions with homework – we provide our athletes with workbook chapters and exercises to complete between sessions. Some athletes can complete the entire workbook, others need a stripped down version depending on how much time they have. Worksheets and summary sheets are also included in the MGCP Certification Course.
Learn A Mental Training System Your Athletes Will Stay Committed To:
With the right system, your athletes will stay committed to your mental training program. We know that when athletes are committed, they progress faster, and see results quicker… and isn’t that our goal as mental coaches?
The Mental Game Coaching Professional (MGCP) Certification teaches you how to help your athletes improve commitment to mental training
Learn more here:
Sports Psychology Certification For Coaches and Therapists
Feel free to call me with any questions and I would be glad to speak with you about how we can help you with mental coaching. Call toll-free 888-742-7225.
Here’s what one MGCP certified coach said about the program:
“I’ve been involved in coaching for over 30 years and included mental skills to help close the gap between potential and performance. I’ve attended numerous workshops relating to sport psychology throughout my career along with receiving a graduate degree in behavioral studies. Dr. Cohn fully shares his knowledge and extensive library of audio, visual, and printed materials with his class. What I found most valuable is that this program provided a framework and step-by-step method of evaluation and implementation of the sound principles that he teaches; all of which are research based, accepted, and on the cutting edge of sport psychology.”~Jim Bonfiglio, M.Ed., Certified MGCP
Listen to other MGCP success stories…
Leave a Reply